Flour & Baking

Coconut Flour

The new low-carb, high-fibre, gluten-free alternative to wheat flour for baking and cooking

500g   $8.00 + p&h

1kg  $15.00 + p&h

10kg bag  $98.00 + p&h

Order here

Coconut Flour is made from fresh organic coconut meat. The meat is dried and defatted and then finely ground into a powder very similar in consistency to wheat flour.

Enjoy it as a protein-packed porridge; add a spoonful to your breakfast cereal and to smoothies; or simply sprinkle it over your food. Use it to bake delicious muffins, biscuits, cakes and breads.

Coconut Flour is a rich source of balanced protein containing all 8 essential amino acids. With almost 20% protein it has far more than wholemeal grain flours do and none of the gluten. This is great news for those who have developed an allergy to gluten or a sensitivity to wheat.

In an attempt to solve the problem of gluten intolerance and food allergies food manufacturers have developed a variety of wheat-free or low-carb breads and flours made from soy, beans and nuts. Many of these alternatives to wheat are expensive and don’t taste good unless they are loaded with flavour enhancers and sweeteners. Coconut flour is a much better and far healthier alternative.

Coconut Flour is high in fibre and low in digestible carbohydrates

According to The Australian Heart Foundation most Australians need to increase their fibre intake. (The average adult consumes 18–25g compared to the recommended 30g.) Fibre can improve digestion, help regulate blood sugar, protect against diabetes, help prevent heart disease and cancer, and aid in weight loss.

Coconut flour contains soluble and insoluble fibre, both of which are important to a healthy diet. Coconut flour has the highest fibre content of any flour and the lowest amount of digestible carbohydrates, fewer even than most vegetables. (Carbohydrates mainly composed of fibre are not absorbed by the body).

Coconut flour is also free of nutrient-binding Phytic Acid, often called an anti-nutrient, a problem with grain-derived fibre. Australian scientists from the Garvan Institute say that insoluble dietary fibre, or roughage, not only keeps you regular but also plays a vital role in the immune system, keeping certain diseases at bay.

The indigestible part of all plant-based foods pushes its way through most of the digestive tract unchanged, acting as a kind of internal broom. When it arrives in the colon, bacteria convert it to energy and compounds known as ‘short chain fatty acids’. These are already known to alleviate the symptoms of colitis, an inflammatory gut condition.

Order here

 Regular use of Coconut flour is an excellent way to increase your daily fibre intake. Just two level tablespoons a day will give you an additional 8 grams of fibre. (It is best to build up gradually.)

Did you know that Coconut Flour contains the highest percentage of dietary fibre compared with other flours? At almost 40% fibre, coconut flour has more fibre than wheat or oat bran and ten times more than rice flour, with water, protein, fat and carbohydrate making up the remaining 60%.

There are two ways of making coconut flour. The “fresh-dry” process (where coconut oil is extracted from dried grated coconut meat) yields about 40% fibre. The “wet” process (where coconut milk is extracted from wet grated coconut meat, and the meal is then dried) yields a product with less fat, protein and flavour but with about 60% fibre.

Bruce Fife’s book Cooking with Coconut Flour references flour produced by the “wet” process. After careful consideration Niulife chose to go with flour from the “fresh-dry” process due to its better overall nutritional content. This accounts for some differences in figures quoted in Bruce’s book. Both methods result in a finished product with a significantly higher fibre content than can be found in other sources of dietary fibre in Australia. Niulife Coconut Flour is Certified Organic and imported from the Philippines.

Coconut flour has a similar consistency to wheat flour, but it does not work as a straight substitute in conventional recipes. It works well as about ¼ of a gluten-free flour mix. It bakes up beautifully in 100% coconut flour recipes for breads, muffins, cakes and biscuits.

Order here