Know What You are Swimming In
As published in Spa & Wellness magazine Dec 2012
A fair portion of the summer holidays is usually spent being deliciously wet and cool when the weather is hot, hot, hot. But are there unexpected dangers in the swimming pool and spa we should be aware of?
Widely-accepted responses to pool and spa usage such as red eyes, dry itchy skin and rashes are now recognised as allergic reactions to chlorine or chlorine toxicity.
First to be noted is that salt and mineral pools all convert salt to chlorine so present the same dangers.
What is known is
* Competitive swimmers absorb toxic levels of chlorine products in the course of a training session. Exercise intensity and number of sessions increase the concentrations.
* Young children absorb relatively greater amounts of toxins than older swimmers and therefore, are at greater risk.
* Greater toxin absorption occurs through the skin than through breathing. However, the breathing action alone is sufficient to cause hypersensitivity and “asthma-like” respiratory conditions in at least some swimmers.
* Over-chlorination is particularly hazardous to the health of swimmers.
* Exposure to swimming pool water increases the likelihood of some cancers
Guidelines are recognised by some authorities as outdated but lobbying for resources is required and yet to be done.
The good news is that there are healthy alternatives for sanitising the swimming pool and spa. The most effective method to date is the Healthy Pool and Spa System – a combination of silver and copper ionisation combined with pH and oxidiser automation. Thirty years after ionisation first emerged, outstanding technology has been added that has secured this option as unbeatable compared to others.
So it is possible to swim in water safe for all, that is above the recommendations for our drinking water, feels crisp and clean, and with overflow usage great for your garden. Combine that with savings on chemicals and electricity plus less pool maintenance and happy holidays are not only here again but here to stay!
Source for “what is known”: http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/chlorine/chlorine.htm
Natural Surrender is an authorised supplier of The HEALTHY Pool & Spa Purifying System worldwide, a low-cost effective people-and-earth-friendly solution for swimming pools and spas.
click here to see entire Spa & Wellness mag for Dec 2012